A recent conversation between me and a co-worker prompted the question of: How can you tell if someone has had plastic surgery? Are there dead ringer signs of plastic surgery? I’m definitely convinced that going under the knife MUST lead to at least one scar or sign that you’ve been there. So out of all of the plastic surgery options available, we wanted to find the ones that are most noticeable and the ones you could virtually get away with. Aside from the bad plastic surgeries that have become notorious, (Ahem Cat Lady and Priscilla Presley) there are the ones that slide by unnoticed. Just when you thought your mother in law ‘looked different’ and thought her nose is actually shrinking, here are 5 ways to spot if someone has had plastic surgery.
- Bad Scars – It’s true that people heal differently and the same person with the same procedure may get worse scarring than the other. However, tummy tucks and breast lifts usually leave some pretty gnarly scars. Depending on your genetics, skin type and skill of the surgeon, a lot of plastic surgeries result in some scarring. Oh and don’t forget, if you are a smoker it hinders your healing process can make scarring worse. Look for these at the waist line, under the armpit, in front of or behind the ears for facelifts or ear pinning’s and below the chin.
- New fat appears in different places. Hello liposuction! The myth about liposuction is that it will remove fat for good, so people flock to this procedure instead of hitting the gym or changing their lifestyle. The truth is that yes, if a plastic surgeon removes fat cells from your thighs, the cells aren’t reproduced in other areas of the body. However, if a person’s lifestyle stays unhealthy after getting lipo and gains 10 pounds, they’ll gain fat in a place they didn’t have fat before-it has to go somewhere. If Yolanda came in to work with a super flat stomach all of a sudden and 3 weeks later has gained chubber arms, there’s a good chance our friend lipo has been there.
- The ‘stink eye’ happens when you go to an inexperienced or distracted plastic surgeon for Botox. If a doctor injects into the wrong place in between or above your eyes, your eye tends to droop. Botox can cause the droopy eye or the Botox brow which unfortunately, both make you look a little angry. The good thing is that both of these are not permanent and should clear up in a few months.
- The trout pout is pretty common around southern California and if you can’t spot it you probably aren’t from ‘round these parts’. Usually, your bottom lip is about 50% larger than the upper one so most of the ladies out there with the fish lips have had silicone injections or a lip augmentation.
- Someone is filling out their jeans a lot better… and higher? Butt implants can totally make your booty beautiful, but sometimes the rest of the body just sags. Look for the butt that rides high all of a sudden, it takes a while for the implants to settle and drop naturally. While you can’t really see a scar unless you’re checking out their fanny close enough, this one can be a little more obvious than the rest.
Happy hunting friends! What signs have you seen?